Springtime brings fresh air and warmer weather, giving us all the green light to come out of our homes and soak up the sun. While we may be out and about with friends we often forget that when we return home to our families we can easily overlook the house that keeps us cozy inside, but what about the outside? Curb appeal plays a big role in not only the value of your property but the overall lasting impression.
What does it mean to have a Lasting Impression?
A lasting impression is the reaction friends, family, neighbors or even potential prospects have when they see your home. That, “Woah, look at this house!” It is when you look left and right to the houses next to you and your LED lighting throws more emphasis on the landscaping and sidewalk or when your windows let in all the sunlight. The point of a lasting impression is to separate from the masses and add value.
What does it mean to Add Value?
Adding property value can go towards putting your house up for sale and the listing price will reflect on how well or how poor the curb appeal is. The market is always fluctuating, but if you are wanting to get the biggest bang for your buck then being intentional in this area will make all the difference. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes for a moment. Do you think if you are looking at a home online that looks great, but when you drive by and see a dead lawn, droopy flowers and trees, chipped paint, a crumbly roof, and run-down windows that you would have the same excitement? Of course not!
DIY Ideas to Enhance Curb Appeal
Now that we went over the basics let’s get into the details of how to keep your home as cozy and appealing on the outside as it is on the inside! There are all kinds of ways to go about it from a quick DIY project to something a little bigger that will really help you stand out from your neighbors around you. Here are a few simple and easy tricks and tips you can do yourself to add a little sizzle this Spring:
Landscape Lighting & Design
Adding some LED lights will not only create a stunning visual display at night but can be a safety accessory for those visitors that come in the evening.
Install New House Numbers
Your house number is a big deal, especially for first-time visitors. If you have faded house numbers it can be challenging for guests and mail delivery employees alike. Try to match your new house numbers with the finish that is on your exterior light fixtures or surrounding decor.
Potted Plants and Trees
Added greenery brings eye-catching color and appeal to any front porch as well as the walkway and perimeter of the yard.
By adding some seating space your home is saying, “Hey, come on over and let’s mingle.” You can never go wrong with a simple petite table and a couple of chairs to go along with it.
Upgrade Your Mailbox
You don’t want to be the neighbor with the rusted or slanted mailbox full of cobwebs. If you notice yours is beginning to look faded or aged an upgrade to something that matches the accent theme may just give you some points and charm.
It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish!
Getting some new furniture? Doing some landscaping? When you really want to separate and stand out, you may need some more extensive work to give your house that nice and finished look you can be proud of. Kapella Roofing’s team of professionals is here to help you finish what you started by providing windows, doors, siding, and more so that you can make the most of your home’s appearance this spring and beyond!
Today, there are a few different options when it comes to siding, but it does depend on a few different factors. One of which is how much maintenance you’re willing to do, which style best compliments your home and of course what will best suit the climate. Here are just a few options one can choose to really make your home pop!
- Vinyl: Enhances curb appeal and looks beautiful up close and from far away. Not only is it durable, but it is low maintenance and resists mold and mildew. When done correctly, vinyl siding lasts between 20 and 40 years. At Kapella Roofing, we are proud to offer James Hardie, the world leader in fiber cement siding and backerboard, and LP Smart Vinyl Siding which features engineered wood strand technology that offers superior protection against hail, wind, moisture, fungal decay, and termites.
- Wood: Gives you the option to paint your home to whichever colors you prefer. It also can be fairly easy to repaint if you decide you want to change things up over time.
- Stucco: Provides a solid, seamless, and durable home exterior. Stucco has a natural resistance to fire and requires low maintenance.
- Metal: Is resistant to dents, insect activities, and fire. Metal siding also helps fight against moisture as well as corrosion and rust.
Taking care of the roof over your head isn’t always the first thing we think of, but it is definitely a top essential when it comes to our homes. Not only does it literally provide cover, but its weatherproofing and insulation can make a big difference on your cooling and heating bills!
- Metal: Are becoming more and more desirable as they are eco-friendly and stylish. They can last for over 40 years and because of their material, rain and water tend to slide off leaving your roof clean and open.
- Asphalt: This affordable roofing material can last for over 30 years and doesn’t require much maintenance. The look is clean and appealing.
- Slate: Is known for its durability as it has been around for more than 500 years. This material tends to be mold resistant and has a low water absorption.
- Tile: Roof tiles are mainly made to keep out rain and can withstand high winds more than some other roof options. It can be a bit pricey, but the lifespan can be worth the investment.
Pro Tip: Not sure which roofing type is best for you? Check out our in-depth article, Types of Colorado Roofing Materials – Which One is Right For You?
Whether you’re just painting trim, doors, shutters, or other accents or coating the entire exterior, your home’s exterior paint can either give an, “Awww,” effect or it can cause people to look over it with disappointment. There are several things that should come to the forefront of your mind when it comes to this.
- Aesthetics: We talked about how the market is always fluctuating and how trends are on the move. When keeping this in mind you have to think how maybe your taste might have changed and it could be time for something new and fresh!
- Curb Appeal: The aesthetic value is not just for you, but it is also for others if you choose to sell your home. Nothing says, “I care,” more than a new and tasteful painted look to really make your exterior stand out.
- Increased Lifespan of Siding: Believe it or not, but a fresh coat of paint can actually add a few years to your siding. Not only will you be saving money in the long run, but you are covering up any blemishes and worn-down spots.
Window & Doors
A popular trend right now in homes is a lot of natural light which is opening up the spaces and actually having a positive effect on our well-being and happiness! Also, when someone comes to pay a visit what is the first thing they do when they arrive? “Knock knock.” Why not give them something appealing to walk up to that will transcend peace from the first knock to when they enter into your open and well-lit home.
- Check out homes in different neighborhoods that you like and see what either catches your eye or makes you turn the other way.
- Figure out what style of home you have and what kind of craftsmanship would best suit your style.
- Most importantly though if you aren’t sure is to get professional expertise! Here at Kapella, we specialize in the Platinum style by Perfexion by Norandex. These high-performance windows come in a stylish selection of shapes and sizes to enhance the mood of every room in your home and your lifestyle. A few types would be Pella, Anderson, Marvin, and Milagro. But we can install any window that is in and out of this sector.
What about HOA Guidelines?
Nowadays homeowners associations have a lot of requirements and regulations attached. They aren’t always fun, but they can help lay the foundation for a successful neighborhood and community. For those who aren’t familiar with what this can entail we listed just a handful, but every community is unique so you’ll want to check with your HOA board for specifics!
Home Maintenance Standards
Window styles and types
- You’ll want to find out what kind of windows you currently have and what options your HOA will approve if you did decide you wanted to change it up.
- There are a lot of different styles from geometric, bay, bow, double-hung, picture, etc.
- There are different color options to think about as well from White, Black, Bronze, Tan, etc.
Siding styles and types
- It may be your responsibility to keep up on small repairs and touch-ups, as siding can wear after a while. But if it’s time for a full redo you’ll want to see what’s allowed as far as types and the brands.
- You have vinyl, stucco, and metal siding just to name a few.
- After finding out what is allowed and not allowed, seek an expert to help identify the right fit for what you are looking for and what will add the most value and curb appeal.
Exterior Paint styles and types
- Painting your home is a great way to liven up the look and become more appealing.
- It may be your responsibility to keep up with the exterior paint and how the appearance looks. Sometimes the home may need a full repaint though depending on its condition and how long it’s been.
- There are different colors, brands and/or composition of the paint you use. After finding out from your HOA what is acceptable seeking the right expert will make all the difference.
Roof styles and types
- Roofs are one of the most, if not the most essential part of your home. Helping to keep you safe and to even help decrease heater/cooling bills.
- There may be certain requirements when it comes to replacing your roof as far as the style, material, or to what extent.
- When it comes to identifying which roof to go with, keep in mind there are many options from asphalt shingles, dimensional shingles, metal roofs, tile, and concrete roofs to name a few.
Make the Most of Your Home’s Curb Appeal
All in all, there are so many different options and choices, but with that, there can be unnecessary stress. Here at Kapella Roofing we have over 30 years of combined experience in bringing value, excellence, and getting the job done with ease. Give your house that nice and finished look you can be proud of! Kapella Roofing’s team of professionals is here to help you finish what you started by providing windows, doors, siding, and more so that you can make the most of your home’s appearance this spring and beyond! Give our team of professionals at Kapella Roofing a call today at 303.619.7640.